Nominal Christianity – A Typical European Phenomenon
Begin with prayer and give everyone a moment to introduce themselves. Make sure that everyone knows that being part of an Impact Group makes you a PARTICIPANT in Lausanne Europe 20/21. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a big conversation between Christian influencers across Europe. Encourage them to take an active role in the Conversation.
We recommend that everyone reads the article before the Impact Group but, if that is not possible, you should read it together now.
After reading the article we suggest you discuss the following three questions. You don't have to answer all of them but do make sure you leave some time to answer question 3. Take notes so that you can summarise the conclusions of your Impact Group in the Comments section below.
- The article observes that a high percentage of Europeans continue to identify themselves as Christians even when they have no connection with the church, belief in a personal God, or knowledge of Christ as their Saviour. Do you see this as a problem or an opportunity for mission, or both?
- Evert highlights seven parameters of being a Christian – initiation, faith, beliefs, church attachment, church participation, spiritual life and public practice. Do you agree that all of these are decisive or are some more decisive than others, and if so, why?
- How might we develop an invitation to follow Christ in Europe today, in each of these seven areas?
Each time your Impact Group meets, we want you to pray together. To pray for Europe, for the Lausanne Europe 20/21 Conversation and Gathering, and for any issues that emerge during your discussions. We will also provide some pointers to prayer but you are not limited to these.
Here are the prayer points for February:
- Pray for God to open our spiritual eyes to see our own 'nominality' in our personal lives, in our families and the wider church community.
- Pray for awareness of opportunities to extend an invitation to the people who are nominal Christians in our communities. Pray for wisdom and guidance from the Holy Spirit to know how to connect and meet them where they are.
- Pray for revival in Europe, and that Europeans might come to a deeper faith in Christ and a deeper knowledge of Him as Lord and Saviour.
Make Your Contribution to the Conversation
Immediately following your Impact Group, we would like your group to summarise what you hear from the Lord, the discussion, ask any questions or leave other thoughts in the comments box immediately below. You might want to read what others have written too. And feel free to make use of the Shareables on your social media. See you next month.